Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister    Log inLog in  
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ManxAngler

ManxAngler

9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Empty
PostSubject: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am

Merit 1 had the usual crew of skipper Gary Bridson, Lee Graham, Paul Graham and myself. Gary was still feeling the effects of a high speed ‘crash’ during TT week which resulted in him suffering a painful arm injury so we were almost a man down, but little did the lads know the way I fished today we may as well have been 2 men down !!!!

After a very tough pre-comp bait collecting session around the back of Douglas head where I failed to even catch a solitary mackerel and Lee only caught 4 it was time to head in to book in for the competition.

At just before 10am the 3 boats set off for their chosen 1st mark and for all of the boats it was a short trip to the Dolphin at the end of the breakwater to see whether the ballan were starting to show yet.

Lee in the foreground with Trampie to the left and Wicked Hen to the right :

photo DSC04132.jpg

Wicked Hen fishing hard :

photo DSC04131.jpg

Scummer adopting the position he loves best :

photo DSC04130.jpg

Paul with a ballan, me still waiting for a bite, Trampie to the left and Wicked Hen just tucked round the dolphin to the right:

photo DSC04129.jpg

Initially it looked like this had been a bad move as there wasn’t much showing but after a few minutes the bites started to come and Merit 1 left the area having registered a ballan, coalie and calig.

Ballan:

photo DSC04128.jpg

Calig:

photo DSC04126.jpg

Coalie:

photo DSC04127.jpg

Next stop was the paddle wheel which again proved to be a bit of a struggle. Whiting were plentiful but apart from that we struggled to register any further sizeable fish but eventually we came good (well all apart from me to be fair !!) and left the mark having caught whiting, mackerel, dogfish, poor cod and pouting.

Whiting :

photo DSC04133.jpg

Dogfish :

photo DSC04134.jpg

Mackerel :

photo DSC04135.jpg

Poor Cod :

photo DSC04140.jpg

Pouting :

photo DSC04139.jpg

Off to the Ballinaa now and if I thought my day couldn’t get any worse, well I was wrong. 3 consecutive drops with 3 nice new traces resulted in me anchoring us to the wreck and eventually losing the end tackle without so much as a fish Mad

This is where the one armed bandit Bridson really came good as firstly he spawned a decent calig which proved to be a pool winner and then ‘fluked’ a herring. Comically as he lifted the herring onto the boat it dropped off the hook, bounced on the gunnel and landed in the boat.

Gary’s herring :

photo DSC04141.jpg

We then moved to Laxey in search of a ray, but we feared the worst when we arrived and witnessed the offputting sight of a certain angler on Wicked Hen with their belly on full view. No wonder the skate didn’t show up !!!

Gary had stopped fishing by this stage with his arm giving him jip so we persevered with the 3 of us.

A variety of different tactics were adopted and within minutes Paul had a tub gurnard on board. Having fished the same spot last week we knew the smuts were about so Lee was tasked with targeting these and he soon landed a lovely common smoothound of 7lb. This was potentially a new Isle of Man record (I think Emmo has it with 6lb 14.5oz) but as Manx Boat Fishing is the home of catch and release (and Lee isn’t a pot hunter ;-) ) it was safely released unharmed.

Lee’s ‘Manx Record’ common smoothound ;-) :

photo DSC04151.jpg

Tub Gurnard :

photo DSC04143.jpg
We also sneaked out a couple of sandeels and a few small grey gurnards :

Sandeel :

photo DSC04136.jpg

Grey Gurnard :

photo DSC04150.jpg

The dab has been a nemisis of ours but we laid this to rest as 4 came on board in quick succession :

photo DSC04152.jpg

photo DSC04153.jpg

Lee then landed a tope whilst I eventually joined the party with a spurdog.

Tope :

photo DSC04162.jpg

Spurdog :

photo DSC04155.jpg

Trampie on her way to the Laxey mark :

photo DSC04156.jpg

photo DSC04157.jpg

photo DSC04160.jpg

Paul with a nice tub gurnard :

photo DSC04161.jpg

There was still time for me to spawn a starry smoothound :

photo DSC04164.jpg

Despite fishing hard we couldn’t find a thornback or a bull huss which was disappointing but time was up and we returned to port with a respectable 17 species.

Back to top Go down
Admin
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 am

Cheers Michael a cracking report, many thanks to all those who fished today, a big Thanks to our sponsors W.J BOOTH MAITINANCE SERVICES and TOTAL OUTDOORS FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS in making the comp a success.

Admin316 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report 2232728206
Back to top Go down
https://manxboatfishing.forumotion.com .
Admin
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 am

Here are the wicked Hen photos

9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh1-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh5-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh9-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh13-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh6-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh10-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh14-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh14
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh3-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh7-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh11-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh4-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh15-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh8-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh12-Copy
9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Wh2-Copy
Back to top Go down
ManxAngler

ManxAngler

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:15 am

That's either the smallest huss I've ever seen or someone has shovel hands Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 am

Small Huss me thinks.
Back to top Go down
Potsymoore

Potsymoore

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 am

Small husslet AND shovel hands! Prompted a debate as to whether it was a Huss or a dog? 100% Huss say I
Back to top Go down
Admin
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 5:58 am

I agree its a Huss just a Very small one Laughing

Admin 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report 2232728206
Back to top Go down
Partime

Partime

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 am

Trampie would like to post their pictures but we first of all have to learn how to catch a respectable number to compete with you smart asses then we will learn how to download them .
Back to top Go down
Admin
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
ABSOLUTE TOTAL LEG-END
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 am

Thanks John, thats just put a great big smile on my face, your humour is brill, but any report no matter who writes it
fill in

Admin316 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report 2232728206
Back to top Go down
Brim

Brim

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 3:35 am

Well done guys, looks like a huge success!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report   9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9th June Competition - Merit 1 Report

View previous topic View next topic Back to top